2019-20 New Student Information
We are excited to welcome you to Edison Middle School. If you were unable to attend our Incoming Parent Orientation or student Step-Up in the spring, please review the information below. The presentation is available here: Parent Orientation Presentation. The handouts are available here: Parent Orientation Handout. If your child is in the PACE program and you were unable to attend the PACE parent meeting, the presentation is available here: PACE 5th Grade Parent Meeting.Locker Set-Up - August 15, 2019 (Alternate date, all grades: August 19, 3-4 p.m.)
6th Grade - 8-11 a.m., 7th/8th Grade - 12-2 p.m.
- Last names A-L 8-8:30 a.m. check-in
- Last names M-Z 8:30-9 a.m. check-in
Locker Set-Up Checklist
Mark Your Calendar!
- Print schedule at home from ParentVUE. If locker number did not print on schedule, be sure to write it down.
- Turn in physical & proof of immunizations (6th grade and athletes)
- If taking medications at school, see nurse to turn in medication release and medications
- Turn in prrof of dental exam, if completed (not officially due until May 2020)
- Pick up school-assigned lock
- Bring/pick up school supplies (can order in advance by June 28),
- Organize locker (locker shelf recommended; lockers are 12" x 11.5")
- Check bus route (can access online)
- Pick up/purchase PE Uniform (order in advance or purchase day of)
- Purchase PTA spirit wear
- August 19: Welcome to the Den, 6:30-8:00 p.m. - Scavenger hunt for students, Q&A with principal, assistant principal and counselor for parents, and snacks! (Compliments of the PTA)
- August 21: First Day of School! Survivor: Edison includes team-building activities with other 6th graders, school tours, Q&A and locker, cafeteria & organization tips
- August 22: IDs and School Pictures - Pictures used in yearbook and IDs (used for bus pass and library card), Lifetouch will send order forms directly to your homes in August.
- August 29: Curriculum Night, 7:00 p.m.
- September 5: Taste of Edison (Club Information Night), 7:00 p.m. List of clubs available on website.
- September 13: Panther FunRun (PTA Fundraiser) during PE classes
Arriving At School
Students wait outside at Door 18 until doors open at 7:50 a.m.Encourage your child to ride the bus for socialization and independence or bike or walk for extra exercise! Bike racks are available. A lock is required.IMPORTANT if dropping your child off:
Breakfast - Served every day at 7:30!
- No passing buses ($500 fine from Wheaton Police Department); no drop-offs in lot on cemetery side
- Consider alternate location (e.g., Kelly Park), NOT Wheaton/Elm (too dangerous)
- No access to driveway from 2:50-3:10 p.m. due to buses
Enter Door 13 (cemetery side)
Entrée + milk + fruit or juice = $1.25; Reduced breakfast = $.30; Free lunch? Breakfast is FREE, too!
Each student is assigned two lockers and locks - hallway and PE. Practice opening combination locks over the summer!
Not allowed during the school day.
Students may bring lunch or buy. Cash accepted or can pre-pay on myschoolbucks.com. Allergy-free table available. Teachers explain lunch procedures on 1st day. Bag lunch recommended on 1st day to avoid long lines. Eat for 15 mins./recess for 15 mins., weather permitting. Children may bring healthy, allergy free snack for afternoon.
SAMPLE 6th Grade Schedule - 8 period day + Lunch + 4 minute passing periods(ELA, Math, Science, Social Studies and Foundations may run during different periods than shown here)
1st Period - 8:00-8:45 English/Language Arts (2-period block)
2nd Period - 8:49-9:34 English/Language Arts
3rd Period - 9:38-10:23 MathLunch - 10:26-10:56
4th Period - 10:59-11:44 Science
5th Period - 11:48-12:33 Social Studies
6th Period - 12:37-1:22 Foundations, Band/Chorus/Orchestra, or Support Class
7th Period - 1:26-2:11 PE (3 quarters) / Health (1 quarter)
8th Period - 2:15-3:00 Exploratories (Music, Art, Drama, Collaboration & Leadership - Rotates quarterly) or Support Class
Extra-Curricular Activities (subject to change based on interest and staff availability)There are a variety of clubs, sports and fine arts opportunities available. Please visit our clubs page and/or our athletics page.
Home-School CommunicationWebsite / CalendarBlackboard Connect - Weekly Edison Updates, occasional voicemails; Be sure email addresses and phone numbers are up-to-date!ParentVUE/StudentVUE - Online calendar, gradebook and more.Facebook/Twitter/Instagram - Pictures from day to day happenings, event updates, parenting articlesScheduled Parent-Teacher Conferences (Sign up online) - Dates TBD.Parent-Teacher phone calls, emails and conferences - Can be initiated by parents or teachers and held at any time during the year.
Join the PTAEdison Middle School is fortunate to have an OUTSTANDING PTA. For more information, click on the link below.To-Do ListTell Us About Your Child Form - Turn in to 5th grade teacher before end of year or Edison counseling officeComplete Online Registration and Pay FeesOrder PE Uniform - www.cusd200peuniform.com - Will be delivered to school and distributed in PE classesOrder/Purchase School Supplies - School Supply ListsHealth Physical, Immunizations, Dental Exam - District Health RequirementsEncourage your child to read, practice math facts (mix up addition, subtraction, multiplication, division until they're automatic up to 12), practice typing