Class of 2020
On August 29th, all seniors will meet in large groups with the WWSHS counselors for an overview of the college and career process. These presentations are conducted through your child’s Senior English class. Topics included details on how to finalize a list of colleges to apply to, college fairs, applying to college in 5 steps, and utilizing the web-based college search/application tool: Naviance. Following these presentations, each senior will have an individual conference with his or her counselor to discuss questions specific to your child. These conferences will run from September through October. Contact your child’s counselor if you have questions.
Financial Aid Information Night, hosted by District 200: September 11, 2019 at Wheaton North from 7:00-9:00pm (click here to view the Financial Aid presentation)
FAFSA opens: October 1, 2019
College Fair, hosted by College of Dupage: October 15, 2019 6:00-8:00pm
FAFSA Completion Night: Thursday, October 17th from 5-7:00PM in the Library
Local Scholarship Deadline: February 19, 2020
Senior Conference Resources
College Application Process Presentation
The following presenation and handout were shared with all seniors on 8/29 regarding the college application process and making plans for life after high school. Seniors were also given an unofficial copy of their transcript:
The following are prerecorded videos of the information presented to all seniors on 8/29 and 8/30:
Teacher Recommendation Form
If you need a rec letter, you must follow these steps in this order:
- Ask your teacher if he or she would be willing to write you a letter of recommendation. You need to give your teacher 3 weeks to write your letter of recommendation, so request at least 3 weeks before due date.
- Once your teacher agrees to write a letter, then go to Naviance > Colleges > Home. This must be done through Naviance so your letters may be sent electronically.
- "Apply to Colleges" > "Letters of Recommendation"
- Click on "Add Request" > Select a teacher
- Check the box to send ALL COLLEGES
- For part 3, add any information and thank the teacher.
- Complete a Teacher Recommendation Form. Complete a separate form for each teacher. E-mail or hand-deliver your completed questionnaire to the teacher(s) writing your letter of recommendation.
- Don't forget to write a thank you note after the letter is complete.
Counselor Recommendation Form
- Find out if you need a counselor recommendation for each college.
- If so, complete the Counselor Recommendation Form
- Give the form to your counselor with transcript request. Check with your counselor to see if they would prefer to receive the form BEFORE you request a transcript--allow 3 weeks for a letter.