Letters of Recommendation
*DO NOT REQUEST TEACHER/COUNSELOR RECOMMENDATIONS THROUGH YOUR COMMON APP ACCOUNT!*
- Request teacher recommendations early (if required).
- Make sure a college requires a recommendation. Many colleges, such as U of I, do not require one.
- Requests should be made by OCTOBER 1ST
- Teachers may refuse a request after this date or if they have multiple letters to write.
- Complete and turn in the Teacher Recommendation Form to your teacher and make a copy for yourself.
- List all colleges that require a recommendation on the form.
- Once your teacher agrees to write a letter, you must request each teacher on Naviance:
- Click on the "Colleges" > "Home" > "Apply to Colleges" > "Letters of Recommendation" > "Add Request" > Select a teacher > select “All current and future colleges I add to my Colleges I'm Applying To list”
- For part 3, add any information and thank the teacher.
- Teachers will upload recommendations into your Naviance account. (These are not viewable in your Naviance account).
- Check with your counselor in 2-3 weeks to ensure the letter has been uploaded.
- THANK YOUR TEACHER FOR WRITING THE RECOMMENDATION!!!
- Make sure your college requires a letter before requesting one from your counselor.
- If you have not done so already, fill out the Counselor Recommendation Form
- Counselor recommendations will be uploaded into your Naviance account. YOU DO NOT NEED TO REQUEST YOUR COUNSELOR ON NAVIANCE.
- You will not see the recommendation prior to it being sent along.
Last Modified on September 4, 2020