Wheaton-Warrenville PTA Council Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee
March 2021 UpdateThe WWPTA Council Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee in partnership with DEI200 is pleased to provide families with the following opportunities and resources:
- DEI Survey: How is CUSD 200 doing on matters relating to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion? We invite ALL community members to fill out this 5-minute, anonymous survey available in English and Spanish, that will help guide our DEI efforts (no need to complete the survey again if you did so in the fall).
Opportunities To Get Involved
- DEI Book Club: Adults and students of all ages are welcome to participate in our newly forming book club. We are planning to read two books per year, with age-appropriate selections. To learn more and to help guide our planning, please fill out this form with your name and/or your student's name (and grade level) and contact information.
- Student-Moderated Panel Event: On March 23, 2021, the Wheaton Public Library is hosting a virtual panel discussion on DEI issues with Wheaton community leaders, including Dr. Jeff Schuler, Superintendent of CUSD200. The conversation will be moderated by students from the Wheaton North and Wheaton Warrenville South high schools. Please register and submit questions in advance to the Wheaton Public Library.
- DEI Committee: Interested in participating in the work of the DEI Committee? Sign up to get involved.
Are you interested in DEI issues but don't know where to start? We have resources! This month, we're providing four options from Dr. Beverly Daniel Tatum, President emerita of Spelman College and author of Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria:
- "How to Talk to Your Toddler About Race" (short article)
- "Is My Skin Brown Because I Drank Chocolate Milk?" (TEDx Talk, video)
- "Ask Code Switch: What About Your Friends?" (podcast)