2022-23 New Student Information
Welcome, Panthers and Panther Parents!
The presentations and handouts from 5th Grade Step Up and Parent Night on May 12 are available here:
- 5th Grade Student Presentation
- 5th Grade Parent Presentation
- 5th Grade Parent Handouts
- PACE Presentation
All 5th grade students are asked to select one of the following courses by Friday, May 13. The process for selecting courses will be explained at Step-Up and the Parent Orientation. If you have questions, or if you need to request a change, please contact Mr. Tim Hower, your child's school counselor, by Thursday, June 2 at email@example.com or 630-682-2053.
- Foundations (Study Skills)
Registration for the 2022-23 school year opens at the beginning of June. Parents are asked to register their children no later than the end of June. Please consider having your child participate in this process.
Locker Set-Up / Schedule Walk-Thru
On Wednesday, August 10, all students will be invited to spend the morning at Edison to set up their lockers and find their classrooms. Some items you can begin to prepare or collect for that day are as follows:
- Get physical & proof of immunizations (6th grade and athletes). See Health Requirements.
- If planning to have your child take medication at school, complete and have your doctor sign the medication form. You will turn in this form and medications (in their original packaging) to the health office on Locker Set-Up Day.
- Schedule a dental exam. Proof of dental exams for 6th graders and new students is not due until May 2023. See forms.
- Order/purchase school supplies
- School supply lists are available on our website here.
- Purchase PE Uniform (order in advance).
If your child cannot attend the schedule walk-thru on August 10, the alternate date and time is Monday, August 15 from 3-4 p.m.
Mark Your Calendars! (Dates/Times Subject to Change)
- August 15: Welcome to the Den, 6:30-8:00 p.m. - Scavenger hunt for students, parent Q&A with principal, assistant principal and counselor and snacks! (Compliments of the PTA)
- August 17: First Day of School - Edison staff will facilitate team-building activities with other 6th graders as well as school tours, Q&A and cafeteria & organization tips to help our new students acclimate to the building.
- August 18 : IDs and School Pictures - Pictures are used in yearbook and IDs are used for bus pass and library card; Color Portraits will send order forms directly to your homes in August.
- August 25: Curriculum Night, 7:00 p.m.
- September 1: Taste of Edison / Club Information Night, 7:00 p.m. List of clubs available on website.
- October TBD: Panther FunRun (PTA Fundraiser) during PE classes
Arriving At School
IMPORTANT if dropping off your child:
- Encourage your child to ride the bus for socialization and independence or bike or walk for extra exercise! Bike racks are available. A lock is required.
- Students wait outside at Door 18 until doors open at 7:50 a.m.
Breakfast - Served every day at 7:30!
- The Illinois school zone speed is 20 mph.
- Please follow drop-off procedures:
- Westbound - Please do not drop off on Elm. Turn north on Hale, pull past driveways to let students out
- Eastbound - Drop off on Elm before Wheaton Ave. Please have students exit the car as soon as your car is stopped and walk on the sidewalk to school.
- No passing buses ($500 fine from Wheaton Police Department); no drop-offs in lot on cemetery side
- Use alternate location (e.g., Kelly Park); avoid Wheaton/Elm
- No access to driveway from 2:45-3:10 p.m. due to buses
- Enter Door 13 (cemetery side)
- Entrée + milk + fruit or juice = $1.25; Reduced breakfast = $.30;
- Free lunch? Breakfast is free, too!
- Menus available online.
Each student is assigned two lockers and locks - one for their school materials and one for Physical Education. It is a good idea to practice opening combination locks over the summer! There are several phone apps that can help students practice.
Must be off and put away during the school day. If students need to contact home during the school day, they should visit the counseling office, the main office or the health office, depending on the concern.
Students may bring a lunch or buy one. Cash is accepted or students can pre-pay on myschoolbucks.com. An allergy-free table will be made available if needed. Teachers explain lunch procedures on 1st day. A bag lunch recommended on 1st day to avoid long lines. Students eat for 15-18 minutes and have recess for 15-18 mins., weather permitting.
SAMPLE 6th Grade Schedule - Daily Den + 8 Periods + Lunch + 4 minute passing periods(ELA, Math, Science, Social Studies and Foundations may run during different periods than shown here)
Daily Den - 8:00-8:18
1st Period - 8:22-9:04 English/Language Arts (2-period block)
2nd Period - 9:08-9:50 English/Language Arts
3rd Period - 9:54-10:36 MathLunch - 10:40-11:10
4th Period - 11:14-11:56 Science
5th Period - 12:00-12:42 Social Studies
6th Period - 12:46-1:28 Foundations, Band/Chorus/Orchestra, or Support Class
7th Period - 1:32-2:14 PE (3 quarters) / Health (1 quarter)
8th Period - 2:18-3:00 Exploratories (Music, Art, Drama, Collaboration & Leadership - courses rotate quarterly) or Support Class
- There are a variety of clubs, sports and fine arts opportunities available. Please visit our clubs page and/or our athletics page.
- Clubs/Activities are subject to change based on student interest and staff availability.
Join the PTAEdison Middle School is fortunate to have an OUTSTANDING PTA. For more information, click here: Join the PTA!To-Do List
- Website / Calendar
- Sunday Edison Updates, occasional voicemails; be sure email addresses and phone numbers are up-to-date in ParentVue.
- ParentVUE/StudentVUE - Online calendar, gradebook and more.
- Facebook / Twitter / Instagram - Pictures from day to day happenings, event updates, parenting articles
- Scheduled Parent-Teacher Conferences (Sign up online) - Dates TBD. May be virtual.
- Parent-Teacher phone calls, emails and conferences - Can be initiated by parents or teachers and held at any time during the year.
- Have your child log in to StudentVue to select Band, Chorus, Orchestra or Foundations by Friday, May 13
- Order Supplies by June 14 or shop on your own using the School Supply Lists
- Complete Online Registration and Pay Fees by June 30. Have your child complete it with you!
- Order PE Uniform - Information TBA
- Schedule your child's Health Physical, Immunizations & Dental Exam - District Health Requirements
- Have your child label sweatshirts, lunch boxes, water bottles, backpack, binders, gloves, hats, shoes - anything that is not attached! :)
- Encourage your child to read, practice math facts (mix up addition, subtraction, multiplication, division until they're automatic up to 12), learn their address and your phone number, practice a combination lock, and get outside!
We look forward to getting to know all of you! See you soon!