September 15, 2019
Panther Parents and Guardians,
Coming up this week:
Mon., Sept. 16
Tues., Sept. 17
- Student Council hosts Pack the Place - Black & Gold
- Girls Volleyball v. Monroe, 3:45 PM
- Cross Country v. Hadley, 4:15 PM
Wed., Sept. 18
- Picture Retakes
- PTA Meeting at 11 AM, Room 122 - All are welcome!
Thurs., Sept. 19
- Girls Volleyball @ Stratford, 4:15 PM
- Cross Country v. Franklin, 4:15 PM
- The Gift of Failure Presentation by Jessica Lahey, 7-8:30 PM, Hubble Middle School - Open to all District 200 Parents!
Fri., Sept. 20
- No School - Institute Day
School News and Events
FunRun Thanks! Thank you to all those who made donations and volunteered at today's 4th annual Fun Run. If you have not yet donated, PTA is extending the time to support our great school until 9/20/2019. You can still turn in your envelope or you can donate online! Please consider what 100% of your donations to your PTA will help fund for our children:
- Social events such as Taste of Edison, Panther Night and Welcome to the Den
- Staff Grants and Staff Appreciation
- Assemblies and Field Trips
- Extracurricular Clubs
- Basketball Uniforms
- New Desks
- Support for Band, Orchestra and Cultural Arts
- And More!
Prizes are as follows:
- BLACK LEVEL raise $100 = choice of Edison or WWS T-shirt
- SILVER LEVEL raise $200 = choice of Edison or WWS T-shirt AND sweatshirt
- GOLD LEVEL (individual) raise $350 = T-shirt AND sweatshirt PLUS Main Event Outing (during the school day, transportation included)
- GOLD LEVEL (family) raise $500 = all Edison Middle School kids in the family get T-shirt AND sweatshirt PLUS Main Event Outing where the winner will enjoy unlimited laser tag, bowling, arcade and a pizza lunch during school for 2 hours! (Transportation provided)
- PLATINUM LEVEL raise $750 = T-shirt AND sweatshirt PLUS Main Event for you and 1 friend
- DIAMOND LEVEL raise $1,000 = T-shirt AND sweatshirt PLUS Main Event Outing for you and 2 friends
Online donations can be made at https://edisonmiddleschool.
memberhub.store/shopping/ items/62445. Edison Middle School thanks you!
Help Your Child Keep Up with Daily Announcements - If your child wants to review the daily announcements, they are available on our Edison website. This will help them keep up with the clubs, activities and other events at Edison.
Thank You for Not Dropping off Forgotten Items! Just like Wheaton Warrenville South, we are asking that parents/guardians do not drop off items for their children during the day. This includes instruments, lunches, birthday treats, PE uniforms and school work. Students will always be served a school lunch if they forget to bring one, and we will help them problem-solve if they are missing something.
Adding Lunch Money to Your Child’s Account - If you want to add lunch money to your child’s account, you can do so in one of two ways:
- Send your child with cash or a check payable to CUSD 200 to the office in an envelope marked with the student’s name, ID, and grade.
- Add funds online through MySchoolBucks
Parent Teacher Conferences - Conferences are scheduled on Oct. 2 and Nov. 20 from 3:30-8 PM and are by appointment only. A link to sign up online will be sent out this week. While we would love to meet with all parents, there are unfortunately not enough slots for each teacher to do so. If your child is doing well, please do not feel obligated to come to conferences. If you would like to check in with one or more of your child’s teachers, you are welcome to reach out via phone or email any time.
PTA Reflections - Does your child enjoy art, music and dance or have an interest in writing, producing films and taking photos? Encourage them to join us and have fun unleashing their inner artist with PTA Reflections! This year’s theme, “Look Within” calls for your own unique interpretation through the arts. Please submit all completed projects (with entry form) by Friday, October 18 to the school office. For inspiration, visit the Reflections virtual art gallery and learn more about prizes and scholarships at PTA.org/Reflections. If you have any questions, contact Jill Feitl at firstname.lastname@example.org. Entry forms and rules are available in the Edison School office or via the District 200 PTA web site. Online Student Packet & Entry Form & Rules for each category: https://www.cusd200.org/Page/
10423, Youtube: https://youtu.be/XjoCIjwKzUo
Yearbooks Orders Due Dec. 20 - Yearbook orders were not available through registration; they are now offered solely through an online ordering system. To order a yearbook, click here today. Questions? Please contact Lauren Nielsen at Lauren.email@example.com or Amanda Austin at Amanda.Austin@cusd200.org.
8th Grade Yearbook Ads Due Nov. 22 - As a long-standing tradition for Edison’s 8th grade students, the yearbook offers an opportunity for you to submit a baby photo and special message (35 words or less) for your soon-to-be high schooler. Typically, parents write about how proud they are of their child and wish them luck as they enter high school. Some even choose to include a small inside joke, family saying or a special quote. To order a Yearbook Ad, click here today. Questions? Please contact Lauren Nielsen at Lauren.firstname.lastname@example.org or Amanda Austin at Amanda.Austin@cusd200.org.
Join the Edison PTA for just $20! Sign up by September 30 and YOU Will Be Entered to Win!
- 1 st PLACE: $50 Target Gift Card
- 2nd PLACE: $25 Amazon Gift Card
- 3 rd PLACE: $25 Starbucks Gift Card
District News and Events
The Gift of Failure Parent Workshop - The Student Excellence Foundation and District 200 are teaming up to host a parent workshop with Jessica Lahey, author of The Gift of Failure: How the Best Parents Learn to Let Go So Their Children Can Succeed. We hope you can join us at Hubble Middle School on Thursday, September 19 at 7 PM.
WWS 3 on 3 Youth Basketball Tournament - Sunday, September, 29 @ WWS High School. Games begin at 9:00 AM. Three games guaranteed. $100 entry fee with four players per team. Checks made out to WWS Athletics. Each player will receive a t-shirt. Open to boys and girls grades 4-8. Three point and half court shot contests. $5 Entry fee for each contest. Complete entry form by Sept. 24. Any questions, email John Scherrman at email@example.com.
Community Events and Information
FREE Parent Workshops and Guest Speakers - Glenbard Parent Series (GPS) presents distinguished speakers who share real-world parenting skills to foster self-empowered children who collaborate, communicate, embrace diversity, create and think critically. GPS events are free and open to all parents, caregivers, students and school staff. The 2019-20 GPS calendar of events is available here: Glenbard Parent Series. Coming soon:
- Dr. Jean Twenge presents iGen: Why Today’s Super-Connected Kids are Growing Up Less Happy and Completely Unprepared for Adulthood, Fri., Sep. 20 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
- Rachel Simmons presents Enough as They Are: Helping Teens Move Beyond the Impossible Standards of Success, Tue., Sep. 24 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm, Wed, Sep 25 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
Have a great week!
Rachel Bednar, Principal
An Edison Scholar CARES for self, others, and the community.
Collaborative ● Accountable ● Respectful ● Empathic ● Safe