2021-22 New Student Information
Welcome, Panthers and Panther Parents!
We are excited to welcome you to Edison Middle School. If you were unable to attend our Parent Orientation or student Step-Up, please review the information linked here:
Schedule Walk-Through Day - August 17, 8 a.m.-11, 7th Grade - 12-1:30 p.m., 8th Grade - 1:30-3 p.m. (Alternate day/time: August 19, 3-4 p.m.)Schedule Walk-Through Checklist:
- Student Step-Up Presentation 2021 - Go to StudentVue to select Band, Chorus, Orchestra or Foundations by Wednesday, June 2.
- Parent Orientation Presentation
- Parent Orientation Handout
- Parent Orientation Recording
- PACE 5th Grade Parent Meeting Presentation
- PACE 5th Grade Parent Meeting Recording
Mark Your Calendar! - All dates/formats subject to change
- Print schedule at home from ParentVUE.
- Write down locker number and combination lock number.
- Turn in physical & proof of immunizations (6th grade and athletes). See Health Requirements.
- If taking medications at school, see nurse to turn in medication form and medications.
- Turn in proof of dental exam, if completed (not officially due until May 2022). See forms.
- Bring/pick up school supplies (can order in advance by June 14).
- Check bus route (can access online).
- Pick up/purchase PE Uniform (order in advance).
- August 19: Welcome to the Den, 6:30-8:00 p.m. - Scavenger hunt for students, parent Q&A with principal, assistant principal and counselor and snacks! (Compliments of the PTA)
- August 23: First Day of School - Edison staff will facilitate team-building activities with other 6th graders as well as school tours, Q&A and cafeteria & organization tips to help our new students acclimate to the building.
- August 24: IDs and School Pictures - Pictures are used in yearbook and IDs are used for bus pass and library card; Color Portraits will send order forms directly to your homes in August.
- September 2: Curriculum Night, 7:00 p.m. May be virtual.
- September 9: Taste of Edison / Club Information Night, 7:00 p.m. List of clubs available on website.
- October 1: Panther FunRun (PTA Fundraiser) during PE classes
Arriving At School
IMPORTANT if dropping off your child:
- Students wait outside at Door 18 until doors open at 7:50 a.m.
- Encourage your child to ride the bus for socialization and independence or bike or walk for extra exercise! Bike racks are available. A lock is required.
Breakfast - Served every day at 7:30!
- No passing buses ($500 fine from Wheaton Police Department); no drop-offs in lot on cemetery side
- Consider alternate location (e.g., Kelly Park), avoid Wheaton/Elm
- No access to driveway from 2:45-3:10 p.m. due to buses
- Enter Door 13 (cemetery side)
- Entrée + milk + fruit or juice = $1.25; Reduced breakfast = $.30;
- Free lunch? Breakfast is free, too!
- Menus available online.
Normally, each student is assigned two lockers and locks - hallway and PE - but due to the pandemic, we were not able to assign lockers during the 20-21 school year. If we are able, we will assign lockers for the 21-22 school year. It is a good idea to practice opening combination locks over the summer!
Not allowed during the school day. There is a phone for students to use in the counseling office.
Students may bring a lunch or buy one. Cash is accepted or students can pre-pay on myschoolbucks.com. An allergy-free table available if needed. Teachers explain lunch procedures on 1st day. A bag lunch recommended on 1st day to avoid long lines. Students eat for 15-18 minutes and have recess for 15-18 mins., weather permitting.
SAMPLE 6th Grade Schedule - 8 period day + Lunch + 3 minute passing periods(ELA, Math, Science, Social Studies and Foundations may run during different periods than shown here)
1st Period - 8:00-8:45 English/Language Arts (2-period block)
2nd Period - 8:48-9:33 English/Language Arts
3rd Period - 9:36-10:21 MathLunch A/Recess B - 10:24-10:44 (If we are still required to split lunches)Lunch B/Recess A - 10:44-11:04
4th Period - 11:07-11:51 Science
5th Period - 11:51-12:38 Social Studies
6th Period - 12:41-1:25 Foundations, Band/Chorus/Orchestra, or Support Class
7th Period - 1:28-2:12 PE (3 quarters) / Health (1 quarter)
8th Period - 2:15-3:00 Exploratories (Music, Art, Drama, Collaboration & Leadership - Rotates quarterly) or Support Class
- There are a variety of clubs, sports and fine arts opportunities available. Please visit our clubs page and/or our athletics page.
- Clubs/Activities are subject to change based on student interest and staff availability.
Join the PTATo-Do List
- Website / Calendar
- Blackboard - Weekly Edison Updates, occasional voicemails; be sure email addresses and phone numbers are up-to-date!
- ParentVUE/StudentVUE - Online calendar, gradebook and more.
- Facebook / Twitter / Instagram - Pictures from day to day happenings, event updates, parenting articles
- Scheduled Parent-Teacher Conferences (Sign up online) - Dates TBD. May be virtual.
- Parent-Teacher phone calls, emails and conferences - Can be initiated by parents or teachers and held at any time during the year.
- Have your child log in to StudentVue to select Band, Chorus, Orchestra or Foundations by Wednesday, June 2
- Please complete the Tell Us About Your Child form by Wednesday, June 2
- Order Carlson's School Supplies by June 14 or shop on your own using the School Supply Lists
- Complete Online Registration and Pay Fees by June 30. Have your child complete it with you!
- Order PE Uniform - Information TBA
- Schedule you child's Health Physical, Immunizations & Dental Exam - District Health Requirements
- Have your child label sweatshirts, lunch boxes, water bottles, backpack, binders, gloves, hats, shoes - anything that is not attached! :)
- Encourage your child to read, practice math facts (mix up addition, subtraction, multiplication, division until they're automatic up to 12), and practice typing