Health Requirements for School Attendance
Physical Examination Requirements
The Illinois school code requires that students entering school for the first time, (early childhood, kindergarten, or first grade), students entering kindergarten, sixth and ninth grades, and transfer students must submit evidence of a physical examination and a complete record of immunizations.
- The completed physical examination and record of immunization form is expected at the school health office upon enrollment/ registration and required by the first day of student attendance.
- Appointment dates for obtaining a physical exam do not meet the school requirement.
- Physical examinations must be done by a licensed physician, advanced practice nurse or an examining physician assistant.
- Physical examinations must be dated within twelve months prior to the first day of school.
- Only the State of Illinois Department of Human Services Certificate of Child Health Examination form will be accepted.
- Medical objections to any physical examination or immunization must be submitted in writing by a physician and must contain required information.
- Religious objections to any physical examination or immunization must be submitted by a parent/guardian in writing and must contain required information. Click here for the religious objection form.
Students who do not meet these requirements will be excluded and will not be permitted to attend school per District Policy.
Immunization records must show proof of immunization against diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough, measles, mumps, rubella, polio and chicken pox.
- Early childhood students are also required to have haemophilus influenza (HIB) and pneumococcal vaccine.
- Early childhood and sixth through twelfth grades are also required to have the hepatitis B vaccine..
- Sixth through twelfth grades are required to have the Tdap vaccine.
- Sixth and twelfth grades are required to have the meningococcal vaccine.
Human papillomavirus (HPV) is a viral infection that can cause various types of cancer. Click on this ABC's of HPV flyer for more information regarding HPV and the vaccine.
Dental Examination Requirements
Students in kindergarten, second, sixth and ninth grades must submit evidence of a dental examination by May 15th of that school year. Dental exams must be completed within 18 months prior to May 15th.
Vision Examination Requirements
Students entering school for the 1st time (kindergarten or transfer) must submit evidence of a vision exam. All required health forms are available at the school office or by clicking on the attached links. The school nurse may be able to provide resources for obtaining health requirements.