Cold & Flu Season
Prevention is always preferred. Click here to see when you should keep your child home. Click here for an English influenza fact sheet from the DuPage County Health Department. Click here for a Spanish influenza fact sheet from the DuPage County Health Department. Click here for information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The best way to avoid getting sick is to practice GOOD HAND WASHING! Studies have shown that good hand washing is the #1 way to prevent infection. Wash before meals and snacks.
- Another way to avoid contamination is to routinely clean environmental surfaces. This is especially true for high-touch surfaces like doorknobs, light switches and counter tops.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth throughout the day. Germs enter the body through these areas.
- Try to cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when sneezing and coughing or sneeze into your sleeve (vampire cough).
- Get enough rest by getting to bed early every night. Most school children need 8-10 hours of sleep each night.
- Eat healthy meals throughout the day…try to avoid “junk foods”. Remember that breakfast is very important…don’t skip breakfast.
Health Services works closely with local health officials to provide information on current outbreaks.
Not sure if it's the cold, flu or allergies? Check out this website for more information.