WELCOME TO THE 2017-2018 SCHOOL YEAR
Updated: August 25, 2017
Welcome to Hawthorne! Here is some information about our school:
Students are welcome on school grounds daily at 9:00a.m. and will be led inside by their classroom teacher or supervisor promptly at 9:05a.m. The late bell will ring at 9:15a.m. and all students are expected to be in their classrooms. Any student arriving after 9:05a.m. will need to enter by the office (door 1). If arriving after 9:15a.m, a parent should walk the student inside the office to be signed in.
Afternoon Kindergarten students may line up outside by Door 1 (front of the school near the office), as early as 12:50p.m. and will be let inside at 12:55p.m.
Student line-up areas are similar to last year:
- Kindergarten students line up by Door 1, by the front office.
- 1st and 2nd grade will line up by Door 7 in the back of the school, on the blacktop.
- 3rd and 4th grade will line up by Door 14, by the stairs in the front of the school.
- 5th grade will line up by Door 9 on the playground.
We strongly recommend students who do not take a bus to walk to school, however, students riding in a car should be dropped off by Door 14 by the stairs in front of school, and walk to their line.
Please keep in mind a few safety requests from our school:
- Drive slowly around school grounds and allow extra time during arrival and dismissal times.
- Do not turn around in the neighbors' driveways.
- Be aware of our bus loading zone in front of the school, by door 1 (office). This is a no parking and no drop off zone.
- Do not walk through the parking lot; please walk around the perimeter of the lot, on the sidewalk.
- Please only cross the street at a crosswalk.
- We ask for voluntary no parking on the north side of Wakeman between Scott and Washington streets during arrival and dismissal. This allows for better 2-way traffic flow.
The parking lot on the east side of the building is reserved for staff only. Parking is available for parents in the diagonal parking spots on Wakeman Avenue, in front of the building and field.
All students are dismissed at 3:30p.m. Students are dismissed at the same door where they entered except for Kindergarten students, who are dismissed out the back of the school at Door 7, on the blacktop area.
Safe and Sound Program (Before and After School Care):
Hawthorne School has partnered with the YMCA to offer before and after school care in our gym and multi-purpose room. Mrs. Chris Greenman is our Safe and Sound Director. Supervised care begins at 6:30a.m. until the start of school, and from the end of the day until 6:00p.m. Registration information can be found on the YMCA website.
Breakfast and Lunch Program:
All students are welcome to participate in our breakfast and lunch program. The district has partnered with Chartwells Food Service to offer several options for breakfast and lunch. Food is prepared at Wheaton North High School and brought to Hawthorne daily. Students who want to purchase breakfast should enter at Door 14 at 8:50a.m. Menus can be found here. Payments are accepted via check in our school office or by paying online.
The school and PTA will email a combined newsletter every Friday at 4:30p.m. to the email address listed in your Parent Vue account. Please make sure your email and phone number are current. Contact the office if you have trouble accessing your Parent Vue account. Classroom teachers will also be communicating updates at least twice a month. If you have questions or concerns, please contact your child's teacher; a staff directory can be found here. If there is an urgent matter or change in transportation, please contact the office first, as teachers may not get a voicemail or email in time. The Hawthorne website will be updated regularly with important dates and events.